Thursday, May 2, 2013

Not good. Not bad, but not good.

It's Thursday now. Monday I had surgery to remove a cyst from my right foot.
As I was locking my apartment door to meet my ride to the hospital in the lobby, Alexi came with a piece of paper that had a note about cleaning up my garden plot and paying for it. I'm only getting 1/2 a plot instead of the full plot I had last year (long story), and Alexi was insistant that I get my garden cleaned by the end of the day Tuesday. Alexi's English isn't so good. He prepares what he wants to say, but he isnere for hoursut th't prepared to listen and answer questions.
I pointed to my walking cast/boot and said doctor, hospital and made a cutting motion and pointed at my foot. He got it right away. He said he would help me.
Surgery went fine. I felt great after surgery, popped right out of sedation, and it's only now that I'm getting uncomfortable. I'm not taking the maximum amount of pain medication and I've been walking around without my crutches.

Tuesday, I was worried about the garden. I raked the whole plot, filled in some divots and tried to gather every thing I wanted to keep to one side so the rototiller can till most of my plot. The half that my new garden neighbor is getting is all cleaned up. I was hours. Then I went to the grocery store, since I was out of  a lot of things. When I got home I was so wiped out. It's not tired, sleepy, or sore, it's zero energy. It's hard to explain.

Wednesday afternoon, I decided to try going without my walking boot. I'd been wearing it 24/7 until that point. I don't know if it helped or hurt. We were supposed to get a big snow storm, so I planned to stay in. I can't get the bandages on my foot wet and I cannot change them on my own. I decided I wouldn't be able to go out for days because of the snow.

The snow missed us, but parts of the state within a 1 hour drive got as much as 15 inches. When I woke up this morning, the ground didn't even look damp.

I asked Alexi about the tiller. He said it would be Friday or Saturday. Since the weather settled, I decided to go back to the garden. Chives, onions, and herbs that I left in the ground last year wintered well and they were sprouting in the path of the tiller. This afternoon, I geared up (coveralls, rubber boot, multiple plastic bags around my cast, garden gloves, etc) and went to dig them up. It was much colder than I planned. Monday, it was 85F. This afternoon it was right around freezing and windy.

Digging up the goodies went faster than I planned and there were way more plants then I realized before. They all had really great root systems. I did all of this without my crutches because I knew my hands would be full of tools.

When I came in, my calf was aching. I think it's got something to do with the way I walk when I'm in the boot. Other parts of my foot and ankle are aching now too.

I planted all of the seedlings I dug up in a punch bowl and watered well. I hope they will keep until I'm more healed. I think I might have to take at least a week off of the garden. I still have to water the seedlings in my apartment, but at times like these, when I'm hurting and waiting for my pills to kick in, I really don't want to think about tending them at all. Later. When I'm feeling better.

We're done with snow that will stick around very long. We may still get snow for the next few weeks, but it won't harm plants and it won't freeze the soil. I'm not worried.

Now to prop myself up, lounge and cuddle with my cat. Napping is in order for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment