Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weather whammy.

It is warm today. Warm. Like, 85F warm. Yesterday was nice, so I opened my window and left it open all night. It's actually getting a little uncomfortably warm now that the sun has moved west and I'm getting direct light.

I had to run to the store and the flipflops, shorts, skirts, and bright colored everything adorned my fellow shoppers. When we get a glimmer of warm weather here, shorts and sandals are the attire. Nice.

Back in the car, on my way home, I heard the host of a talk show about pets joke about the weatherman being in trouble for predicting snow.

Snow?

What?

As soon as I got home, I had to go online to check the weather. Yes, our weather is going to turn again.

No worries. This is Minnesota. We do weather like some people do brunch.

All day I've been nagging myself about going out and doing something in the garden. I went out yesterday and looked around. Some of my straw had drifted over to my neighbor's plot. I moved some of the straw around and chives, onions, and a few other things I left in the ground are sprouting.

I'm not sure if we're going to have a rototiller go through this year. There hasn't been any talk of it, but it snowed a few inches last week, so it's not much of a surprise. Last year at this time, I was really geared up for garden season. I had seeds in the ground and it was so warm. It's not happening this year.

It's not just the weather. I'm having surgery on my right foot tomorrow. I'm going to be in a walking cast, but I'm supposed to stay off my foot for at least 2 weeks and keep it elevated. I am certain that I will not be able to use my spade fork and trying to plant and put up fence is going to be dangerously possible (but unwise) for a month.

I've got lots of seedlings going indoors. I'm still having some die off every couple of days, but since I started with hundreds, I'm still doing really, really well for quantity.

I've transferred all of the seeds to their own cups and I've taken to watering them with a medicine dropper. It's child-size and only holds 2.5mL. I'm still learning how much each seedling needs, but I'm not overwatering anymore. It takes much longer to give each seedling 4 or 5 squeezes of water, but I'm watching the seedling progression more closely than I was and each gets more TLC than they did before. I watered everything with a little extra today.

All of my squash except 2 and all of my cucumber seedlings died. I believe fruit flies did most of the damage. All of my herb seedlings withered and died. I'm going to plant all of these tonight. I'm sure the squash and cucumber will do great, but I'm not comfortable with herbs. I don't know what they're supposed to look like as seedlings and I don't know what to expect. I'll have plenty of time before I put them in the ground.

One month is the goal. I hope to start putting everything in the ground in a month. The Minneapolis Farmer's Market opened this weekend. I love the farmer's market, but I know if I go now, I'll want to spend money and I'll want to buy seedlings. *sigh* One month. I'm allowed to do it in one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment