Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Minnesota. Get over it.

I'm Minnesota born and raised. I LOVE snow. I'm not a snow sport person - there is nothing that could motivate me to do slippery&fast in any weather. I don't get much from the "challenge" of physical obstacles. Well, I do, but not the challenges I create. I walked out of the woods in the dark with hip-deep snow and no trail and I felt pretty bad ass. Ride a chair to a scary high place, go down really fast with no natural form of control (I gather that laying down and using friction is frowned upon) and paying lots of money to put stickers on my coat so I can go up and down all day just doesn't do it for me. I'll make snow angels.

Especially this week. We got whammy weather on Monday morning again. Schools closed. Driving is dangerous. Plowed roads drifted over. It's 19 March and people are complaining. It's Minnesota already. Get over it. It's supposed to snow here. I think folks are just spoiled.

I looked through this blog for last year. The weather prediction was mid-80'sF. The same day as today - mid80s. That's not natural. It's 14F outside now, and below 0F with windchill. It's dangerous, painful cold outside. It's Minnesota. Get over it. Put on your warmest (ugly) boots with extra socks. Wear your warmest (unfashionable) coat. Put on a hat and a scarf and some mittens. Give yourself plenty of time. We don't have the luxury of wearing clothes drawn by people who make cartoon versions of practical clothes and sell them at crazy prices. Harsh weather isn't sexy. You can't pull off our notion of "attractive" when all of your useful bits are swaddled under layers, and your eyes are squinting from the cold/wind/snowblindness.

I am wearing a near perfect Minnesota indoors in the winter ensemble - socks, yoga pants, a t-shirt, and a hoodie. If I have to walk around a lot or stand much (cooking, cleaning, laundry), I'll wear my Haflingers. My apartment is drafty and I am uncomfortably chilled, but it's winter. It happens.

The plastic on the greenhouse has condensation all around the level with all of the damp pods. I've turned off the lights for the night. The lettuce is keeping me entertained until everything else pops. I can look at it every few hours and it's done something new.

In this climate, we must start our seeds indoors while winter blows outside. Our growing season is short and unpredictable in the beginning and the end. We get all kinds of produce from our soil that wouldn't naturally come from our land, but we've adjusted for that, and growers have bred plants that will let us get good vitamins from nearby. It's all part of the deal we get for living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment