Monday, March 18, 2013

not sexy pictures

I've seen them...blogs with sexy pictures. The ones with the near focus and fuzzy background. The color-balanced, strategically placed items of interest. The adorable pictures of our web hostess. The expensive fonts (fonts of 20% more - cheers Ani) and custom logos.

Not me. I'm not even going to try hard, because I won't succeed to compete because...well...I really don't care. If I get a sponsor, KUDOS ME! They can sponsor my crappy pictures too.

As a bit of documentation, this is how things are today. All 144 cells are planted with 2-4 seeds each. I labeled them carefully (an important lesson learned from two years of "Oh, I'll remember"). This is my little greenhouse. There is one more shelf below what is shown, but it's dark, so I'm just using it for storage now. There is a whole other layer of shelves I could add to have 4 shelves, but the greenhouse is perched on my kitchen table, the top shelf would be way too tall for me to reach without my step ladder and I know I would probably try to reach it without my step ladder many, many times. Sometimes I am my own toddler. Part of me wants to do stupid things. A different part of me tries to set up my life so I can't do stupid things, or at least it's hard to do stupid things.

SO, here are the pictures

Greenhouse from the living room side.
The box for the greenhouse blocks the light when
I'm using the living room.
Greenhouse from the kitchen side.



Terra cotta-colored plugs were
started on 15 March. (left)
Terra cotta-colored plugs were
started on 15 March (right)

Black plugs were started
on 18 March (left)
Black plugs were started
on 18 March.
Black plugs (left) with flash to
show the labels.
Black plugs (right) with flash to
show the labels.


Lettuce mix started on 15 March.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same mini-greenhouse! I direct sowed my lettuce in pots this year too. It did so great in pots last year, and now I don't have to deal with transplanting the tiny seedlings.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do pots of greens for the "off" season and I've done seeds in the beds in warm weather. With the pots, I eat a lot more "baby" greens and I have high rotation. I also grow oat grass and wheat grass in rotation pots for my cats.

      Delete